[OT] Chrome Notice (Warning)

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Mon May 26 09:01:06 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 05/26/14 15:00, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
>> There is nothing glorifying in ~/.local/share/applications. You may like dead links in your application menu. I don't. I like the concept of purging everything a package installed. Any time you reinstall you will have deal with conflicts.
>
> So, for example, you are on a system shared with other users and the admin decides to erase firefox you want the erasure of firefox to remove all *your* firefox related data?  Remembering that it is possible that users install and run their own copies of firefox within the users environment.
>
> Would you want the erasure of digikam to remove all photos in a users area?
>
> Think about it.....
>
> Removing a *system* application should not (dare I say must not) fiddle with user's files.

That raw data is not useful for general users. Most computer users
don't even know what a browser is. All important data like bookmarks
and settings are already synced to the cloud.

Photos have nothing to do with digiKam. They existed before digiKam
and will be added after it is installed. There is a vast difference
between user photos and links created the system.

How an administrator wants to do things is his prerogative? In my
university, probably standards for any American university, is to
delete any personal data after a user logs off. You can't run
executables. You can't save anything on the library, or cafeteria or
computer lab's computer for that matter.

--
Regards,
Sudhir Khanger.