Moving Fedora system to new disk

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Wed May 28 17:38:36 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> said:
> -a includes -P, so copying symlinks is not his problem.  His problem
> is that the links are broken, as reported by diff.

I'm not sure what environment the OP was using to do the copy (e.g.
rescue mode, live CD, etc.), but some things install relative links,
which should always work, while some install fully-specified links,
which won't when the FS is mounted under a different location.

For example, if you have /usr/bin/acroread as a symlink to
/opt/Adobe/Reader/9/bin/acroread, but then you boot a recue mode and
mount the root FS under /mnt/sysimage, the /usr/bin/acroread link will
be broken.

If instead you have something like /usr/bin/Mail linked to
../../bin/mailx, it will still work.

That may be all the OP is seeing, depending on the environment used.
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>