Installing with F20 installer report (and failure)

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Fri May 30 01:05:08 UTC 2014

Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> writes:

> On May 29, 2014, at 12:29 PM, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>> I`m not saying that I have no idea what LVM is, only that I don`t have
>> use for it.
>
> But whatever, if you know what it is, and you know that you don't need
> it, you don't really have much reason to just advertise that you don't
> need it. It's not really going to do much good in this forum (just
> like the above paragraph of mine), there are other forums for that.

I`m merely giving some feedback.  I know, ppl wanted bug reports --- and
I can still compile all the mails in this thread and put them into a bug
report.  That bug reports aren`t suited in this case has been
persistently ignored.

>> And the installer doesn`t say what it means by "standard
>> partitions".
>
> It means "don't use LVM" it just uses plain partitions for each chosen mount point in the installer.

That is left to be guessed by the user.

>> I want to use raid because I don`t store data on a single
>> disk only.
>
> RAID1/Mirroring in the Fedora installer translates to md raid. It will
> support existing IMSM (Intel firmware initiated RAID), also via
> md. The md driver is part of the kernel, and the user space tool is
> mdadm.

Are you saying the installer would secretly use some Intel fake-raid
onboard-controller if it`s available?  That is pretty much the last
thing I would want to use.

>>> And same goes for employing full-disk encryption. If you don't know
>>> what to do with passphrase, you will inevitably use your data
>>> permanently and blame Fedora.
>>
>> I`m not saying that I don`t know what to do with it.  Why do I have to
>> enter the passphrase like 10 times?  Why does the installer want to save
>> it, and where?
>
> If it asks for a passphrase on more than one page (two times on the
> same page, the 2nd one is a confirmation) then you've probably run
> into a bug or confusing design.

It`s been asking for a passphrase together with confirmation many
times. The entry fields were full of dots after the first time, so there
is no way to tell what passphrase it might use.  So obviously, you have
to enter the passphrase every time you`re being asked.

It doesn`t even give you choice to not save the passphrase.

> With Fedora 19 for example it was possible to inadvertently create
> encrypted partitions, which became LVM PVs, and then you could also
> separately encrypt each LV. So you were getting double
> encryption. This logic was fixed in Fedora 20 but you might still be
> running into some confusing UI, but it shouldn't let you actually
> create a layout with double encryption.

Since the system doesn`t boot, I haven`t checked for this ...

> In any case, almost no one is going to understand what you're talking
> about unless you either write out discrete steps, maybe annotated with
> screen shots. Or better (and easier) if you can make a video of it.

Where would I store screenshots or a video when I can`t even enter an IP
address to configure the network, which might give me a chance to store
files somewhere?  Recording a video that goes for an hour or two doesn`t
exactly create only a small file.  And does the installer come with some
screen recording software?

So I wrote down the steps I took.

>> Anyway, I want to use the system.  Since Fedora fails and there aren`t
>> any ideas about getting it to work, it seems I have to install something
>> else.
>
> I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts no one even understands exactly
> how it's failing. That is it failing isn't specific enough, like I
> said earlier there are thousands of ways an OS can fail to boot or
> startup.

You can try it for yourself, doing the same steps I did.  And I haven`t
touched it yet, so if you can tell me exactly what information you need,
I might be able to boot a live/rescue system and obtain it.

> A good starting point for troubleshooting is to edit the boot menu
> entry in grub (use e to edit) and find the linux line, and remove rhgb
> quiet.

There is no boot menu.  I`d have to boot a live/rescue system to do
that.

> That's a one time thing, the next time you boot those options will be
> back in there so if you need to keep troubleshooting you have to
> remove them each time.

Where`s this line coming from?  "rhgb" isn`t anywhere the grub.cfg on my
computer.

> Another idea if this might be video card related is to try adding the
> option nomodeset. And then take a photo with a cell phone where the
> text scrolling stops and put it up somewhere.

There is no text scrolling, and it`s a pita to get any data off or onto
my cell phone, if possible at all.  And does anyone really need a
picture to understand that, when trying to boot, there`s a dot in the
top left corner of the screen and a blinking cursor below that, as I
explained?

Besides, I`ve had Debian and Fedora on the same laptop before, and
nomodeset wasn`t required.

> Even better if you can ssh into the computer remotely and post the result from:

How do you ssh into a computer that doesn`t boot?  Is sshd installed and
enabled, using the ssh port, by the default installation, and not
blocked by firewalling?  If so, I`d consider that a security risk, and
such a default needs to be changed.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)