Create virt F20 on new physical /dev/sda -> OK; boot live F20 on /dev/sda now fails

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat May 31 04:05:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-05-31 at 11:40 +1000, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> but now for going from F19 to F20 and booting on the new F20 the
> process stops at:
>
> [OK] Reached target Paths
> [OK] Reached target Basic System

I encountered the same stalling point, but with an ordinary install.

Out of the two or three recent bouts of install grief, this one was due
to the device numbering.  During install, thanks to booting from a DVD,
the install thought that the system root was /dev/sde instead
of /dev/sda, and configured things like that.  Check your kernel line in
the boot menu for the wrong device name, and either correct it, or use
the UUID of the drive partition, instead.

Oddly enough the next entry in my grub.cfg file was for a recovery boot
mode, and that one had used the UUID, instead of the wrong device name.

I'm not impressed with the current install routine, and that was just
one of the things about it that annoyed me.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.14.4-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 13 14:15:15 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.