A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sat Nov 1 14:14:21 UTC 2014

On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 16:20:18 +1030 Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 12:52 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> > The “learning curve” is an exaggerated meme based on my SMALL sample.
> > I’ve migrated my parents from Windows to Gnome 2 to Unity and my
> > neighbor from Windows to Unity without them having a problem finding
> > their bearings.
>
> I've always thought that the learning curve for Windows was far worse
> than Linux.  You don't have forums like this one, when I used it.

Ah! But you have poorly-written buggy software to buy for every little "feature" you could like and additional software to buy to iron out the wrinkles in there and additional software to buyt iron out the wrinkles in there and additional software to buyt iron out the wrinkles in there and .....  (I believe that that establishes the sequence).

Who can possibly beat that?

> Sure,
> there are ones, but there was a lot more of the blind leading the blind,
> some of the most bizarre registry issues to deal with, expensive
> magazines that were far more about advertising things to waste your
> money on than they helped you...

I agree completely! I have been lucky enough to have been on Unix and Linux (SuSE/RH/SuSE/Fedora) all my computing life and I can not see what the fuss with the "steep-learning curve" and "limited options" on Linux is about...

Btw, in my experience nothing is as helpful as the Fedora users (and the R-help, for R users) mailing lists!

Best wishes,
Ranjan

> --
> tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
>
> Linux 3.16.6-203.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Sat Oct 25 13:08:51 UTC 2014 i686
>
> All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
> to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.
>
> George Orwell's '1984' was supposed to be a warning against tyranny, not
> a set of instructions for supposedly democratic governments.
>
> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.