A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Nov 1 21:52:40 UTC 2014

jd1008 wrote:

> On 10/28/2014 12:16 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>> +1 for Xfce
>>
>> I got introduced to it via Fedora for arm.  With ONLY 1Gb on my Cubieboard2,
>> it is nice that the desktop does not eat up all your memory.  Particularly
>> when I am only running with a SD card (I do have sata drive builds as well).
>>
>> So I am more using Xfce and might even do my F21 beta on a notebook with it as
>> well.  Skip gnome all together on the next upgrade.
>>

> So, between xfce and lxde, which one consumes less ram?

I booted all of the FC20 Live CDs I have on hand, and I share this for your
edification:

CD		RAM used MB	Idle CPU
XFCE-64		204		99.[6-8]
LXDE-32		123		99.[4-6]
MATE-32		143		99.[7-9]
MATE-64		237		99.8-100

Each was booted in KVM, I opened a singe terminal, ran "top -d10" and recorded
the highest and lowest idle in one minute. Then I used free to see the RAM in
use. The CPU matters to me, when Cinnamon came out I liked it, but it used about
4% of the CPU at idle, and more if anything was updating the screen. I would
call all of these a tie on CPU, I'm tempted to call memory a tie, too, if it's
really tight the 32bit release will make some difference.

HTH

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>