Hibernate and lack of docs

Martín Marqués martin at 2ndquadrant.com
Sun Nov 9 22:38:42 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I was trying to get hibernation working on my F20 laptop with which I work.

Going through the process, which I thought would be more transparent
or that it would just be like hitting the hibernation and that's it, I
found great deficiencies in Fedora (maybe just from the kernel) and
especially in the docs (or the lack of documentation in this
particular issue):

1) I had trouble getting the system to hibernate. There wasn't
anything clear about the fact that you needed to have a swap bigger
than the amount of memory you have. Also, it doesn't work if you have
a file as swap (which was the easiest way to start testing)

2) You need (or at least with my laptop) to add the resume=<swap FS>,
this I did find information in the docs, but I'm a bit surprised that
Fedora doesn't give better information about all this during the
installation process.

3) When adding the resume= option to the kernel line in grub you can't
use UUID like FS. That is a bug IMHO.

Well that's as much as I remember now.

At least I now have hibernation working correctly on my laptop.

Regards,

--
Martín Marqués http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/