Configuring a printer on a server without a GUI

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Nov 11 03:15:08 UTC 2014

I have a server here that has no GUI installed.

No gnome, xfce, or any other.  And I want to install a printer.  It is
an HP8610 and I have the url for it.  I strangely thought that
system-config-printer would work, but that also requires more than just
a text window as I get:

# system-config-printer
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(system-config-printer.py:15388): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Oh, yes, no monitor at ALL.  Only a serial console or SSH terminal.