Progress Re: Configuring a printer on a server without a GUI

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Nov 12 22:54:31 UTC 2014

On 11/12/2014 12:06 PM, poma wrote:
> On 12.11.2014 20:25, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> This is interesting.  system-config-printer on my notebook does NOT show
>> the printer I configured with CUPS via the http interface.  So I did
>

> All your printers are here
> /etc/cups/printers.conf*

Interestingly there is /etc/cups/printers.conf and /etc/cups/printers.conf.0

Both define both printers that I can see with my notebook browser
pointed to port 631 on the server.  But when I use system-config-printer
on my notebook to connect to the server, it only shows the printer I
added using system-config-printer (note the other printer was first
added via the web interface).  The question is why?  Here is the conf file:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.7.5
# Written by cupsd on 2014-11-12 14:11
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
<DefaultPrinter HP-TR-8610>
UUID urn:uuid:ad1a6fe3-d725-37df-7146-61acc4686939
Info HP Terminal Room 8610
Location Terminal Room
DeviceURI socket://term-printer.meeting.ietf.org:9100
State Idle
StateTime 1415819433
Type 36892
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
Attribute marker-colors none,none,none,none
Attribute marker-levels 57,11,60,14
Attribute marker-names magenta ink HP CN051S,cyan ink HP CN050S,yellow
ink HP CN
052S,black ink HP CN049S
Attribute marker-types ink,ink,ink,ink
Attribute marker-change-time 1415819433
</Printer>
<Printer TerminalRoom-8610>
UUID urn:uuid:3f040a85-e631-3c1d-5080-2fe0223c09cc
Info 8610
Location terminal room
DeviceURI socket://term-printer.meeting.ietf.org:9100
State Idle
StateTime 1415767166
Type 8425500
Accepting Yes
Shared No
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
Attribute marker-colors none,none,none,none
Attribute marker-levels 57,11,60,14
Attribute marker-names magenta ink HP CN051S,cyan ink HP CN050S,yellow
ink HP CN
052S,black ink HP CN049S
Attribute marker-types ink,ink,ink,ink
Attribute marker-change-time 1415767166
</Printer>

It is TerminalRoom-8610 that only shows in the web interface.

Oh, both setups are for the same printer as you can see by the URI.