User friendly proxy configuration

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 15 06:17:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-11-14 at 13:55 +0100, Alexis Jeandet wrote:
> my question was more about apps like YUM/DNF which doesn't care about
> gnome config and doesn't like pac files. My thoughts are that I should
> write maybe a simple scripts triggered by network manager which
> configures everything depending on the current host IP or something
> like this.

Have you looked through man yum.conf to see the proxy options?  Perhaps
you could write a network manager script to modify the yum.conf file
each time you go online, and something checks for the pac file.

The alternative option, if you don't want users to go around customising
things, is to use a transparent proxy, which everything goes through,
without option.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.17.2-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue Nov 4 18:28:00 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.