Clearing the unallocated disk space

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Nov 17 06:00:26 UTC 2014

On 11/17/14 12:58, Tim wrote:
> There have been cases of people getting refurbished drives which did
> have the previous owners data on them.

Do you have first hand knowledge of this or is this something you've just heard about?

The reason I ask this is I have a friend that worked at WD in the HD manufacturing and refurbishment area a few years back.  I had asked him about this very same thing.  He indicated that WD had very strict quality control and he couldn't think of a way it would pass through their processes with previous data still intact.

Or, maybe you're talking about cases where the drives aren't actually going back to the manufacturer?