Out of the Broadcom frying pan (DELL) to the fire (HP Envy)

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 18:46:40 UTC 2014

On 11/17/2014 03:45 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2014 10:39:20 Heinz Diehl wrote:
>> You could also grep for "BCM4352" in the latest kernel sourcetree.
> What would that give me?
>
> I'm certainly not up to kernel hacking, that's beyond my abilities.
It is not hacking.
Just a download of the source rpm, installing the source RPM (rpm -ivh
fpm-file-name),
cd to the SPECS directory, run the command
rpmbuild -bp kernel.spec
cd to where ..... BUILD/kernel-{version}
there, run the command make xconfig
and then search through the gui config for BCM4352 or bcm4352
in case the search is case sensitive, and if found,
enable the building of the driver, save and exit and run
make all
then make install

I wish there was a way to edit kernel.spec, or provide args to rpmbuild
to achieve the same thing
I describe above.