OT: NFS and iOS -

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Nov 21 02:05:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
<bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

> We ran with Freenas/smb for six months or more and my main concern is the
> iPads and Mac portables.

FreeNAS supports all of them now: AFP, NFS, SMB, WedDAV.

Using OS X as a client over NFS is - annoying. When it works, it's
fast. ~110MB/s sustained on big (10+MB) files. But on 10.9 it hangs
when copying files with xattrs, with a totally obscure error message.
It took days to realize it was due to xattr. On 10.10 I get different
results, kernel panics.

Otherwise I'd have suggested NFS across the board. Maybe there's a
trick or two to get either NFS on the client or server to ignore
xattr. It's almost always non-critical data; Apple embeds file type
and a creator (or preferred application) code into each file rather
than depending only on filename extensions.

--
Chris Murphy