Somewhat OT, encryption question

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Wed Nov 26 20:47:25 UTC 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014, Bill Oliver wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2014, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
>>  On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 17:39:34 +0000,
>>   Bill Oliver <vendor at billoblog.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >  For the HP issue, the fix is easy -- you just delete the command to
>> >  check during boot up.  But, I was thinking about this as an encryption
>> >  option -- where one could encrypt files in a way that automatically
>> >  incorporates hardware information with the passphrase.  That way, if
>> >  someone were to intercept a file and knew your passphrase, they would
>> >  still not be able to decrypt the file unless they did it on one specific
>> >  machine.
>>
>>  What threats are you trying to counter? The normal putting file systems on
>>  top of a luks container should be good enough for a lot of threats.
>>

> I don't want someone to be able to image my disk and unencrypt it on a
> different machine if they have intercepted my passphrase.

Actually, let me be more specific.  Let's say I have data on a flash
drive that is encrypted using gpg.  We can even say the flash drive
itself is encrypted.

Now let's say that flash drive is stolen, lost, etc. *and* the
passphrase is compromised.  I want the data on the flash drive to be
available *only on one computer* even if the passphrase is known.

billo