what causes: kernel:[38405.042543] do_IRQ: 0.81 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Wed Oct 1 19:34:18 UTC 2014

On 01.10.2014, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> Unfortunately, there are hard lockups.

Then, you should definitely report this to the Fedora kernel folks.
You can also try with a vanilla kernel from kernel.org, and if the
problem persists, you could report it directly to the linux kernel
mailing list.

> How do I disable irqbalance?

You can do a "yum remove irqbalance" or a "systemctl disable
irqbalance.service". And add "acpi_irq_nobalance" to the kernel boot
parameters in grub.conf.

> And there appears to be no irq.c on my system.

It should be in the arch/x86/kernel/ directory of your kernel sourcetree.
It's been quite a while I tried to understand this area of the kernel.

[....]

> I did submit a bug report yesterday but it has not been assigned yet.
> Looks like an obscure issue.

This (and/or similar bugs) are going on for a while. I remember
those hard lockups from quite a few years back in time (at least in
the 2.6 generation). Not sure if they have the same origin/cause,
though. If I remember this correctly, both a racy irq migration
code as well as a faulty BIOS were discussed.

Maybe there is a BIOS update for your machine?