tracking down crash/error in app running on fed/centos

Jack Craig jack.craig.aptos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 19:37:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 12:30 PM, bruce <badouglas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> running an app in both fed/centos test machines and getting a seg fault.
>
> I know this is a bit off topic, but it does related to segfault
> crashes, and how to get/setup the data to analyze track down the
> offending code!
>
> to begin,
> the system has /var/log/messages with
> Sep 30 11:40:57 dell2 kernel: courseSectionDa[3270]: segfault at 868
> ip 00007f80e8e1e410 sp 00007fffe404d0c8 error 4 in
> libgearman.so.8.0.0[7f80e8e18000+26000]
>
> isn't this saying the crash is coming from the libgearman.so.8.0.0 as
> opposed to the parent php app which uses the gearman lib??
>
> and assuming that this is the case, and i installed the gearman so
> with yum (without source) is there a way I can setup the system to
> capture the crash data to do an analysis of the crash??
>
> the parent app runs multiple (1000s) of times, and somewhere the crash
> occurs..
>
> thanks guys..
> --

you may find tools like strace to see what, in terms of system calls,
preceded the crash.

note the -f option to follow new sub processes.

pstree can be fun, ...

try, ...

watch "pstree -p 1638"

where '1638' is a processes spewing subprocesses of interest.

hth, ...

sudo yum install strace watch pstree