Keyboard language settings at startup

Paul Anzel panzel at caltech.edu
Thu Oct 2 15:58:46 UTC 2014

Good afternoon,

I'm having a bit of an interesting problem, and wanted to ask how I
could change my keyboard setup at the initial log-in screen?

The basic situation is this: I've got a couple of desktops that I
installed a new copy of Fedora on, and did so using an English (USA)
keyboard I had on hand. However, these computers are in Switzerland, and
I'd like them to work with the Swiss German keyboards my lab has around.

I've set the system up to use a Swiss German keyboard layout, and for
the most part it works as expected. HOWEVER, at the first log-in screen
(when you first put in your password) the keyboard set up is still in
English configuration. It's only after you log in that it properly
changes to the Swiss German layout. As you can imagine, this makes
entering in your password a little bit more tricky.

So, would anyone please be able to tell me how to resolve this issue?

Thank you for your help,
Paul