Wrong Screen Resolution after uninstalling nvidia packages from rpmfusion

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 00:41:01 UTC 2014

On 10/01/2014 11:41 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 10/02/14 01:26, jd1008 wrote:
>> It just cannot load nouveau.ko driver because of unresolvable symbols
>> at modprobe time. I think I sent that info to the list already.
> That isn't the problem. The same "unresolved symbols" exists on all my
> systems. [egreshko at f20f ~]$ nm -u
> /usr/lib/modules/3.15.10-201.fc20.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko
> | wc 343 686 12856 --If you can't laugh at yourself, others will
> gladly oblige.
Well Ed,
I have reinstalled all fedora xorg and X11 packages, made sure there is
no trace of nvidia rpmfsion packages,
even reinstalled latest kernel.
It has not resolved the problem.
But, I saw this info in manpage nouveau(4)

SUPPORTED HARDWARE
        The nouveau driver supports PCI, PCI-Express and AGP video cards
based on the following NVIDIA chips:

        RIVA TNT              NV4
        RIVA TNT2             NV5
        GeForce 256, QUADRO   NV10
        GeForce2, QUADRO2     NV11 & NV15
        GeForce3, QUADRO DCC  NV20
        nForce, nForce2       NV1A, NV1F
        GeForce4, QUADRO4     NV17, NV18, NV25, NV28
        GeForce FX, QUADRO FX NV30, NV31, NV34, NV35, NV36, NV37, NV38
        GeForce 6XXX          NV40, NV41, NV43, NV44, NV45, C51
        GeForce 7XXX          G70, G71, G72, G73

My card does not seem to fit any of the supported cards listed.  lspci
shows my card to be:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G98M [Quadro NVS 160M]

So, I am wondering how nouveau was used in previous runs, as I showed
you in one xorg log file.

PS: filed a bug with the xorg against the nouveau driver. No update has
come from it :)
     Not that I was expecting any so soon.