Regular font for human beings to learn to write

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 09:55:11 UTC 2014

On 3 October 2014 09:50, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-10-02 at 14:40 -0400, Fulko Hew wrote:
>> Um...
>> the sound of a capital letter is exactly the same as a lowercase
>> letter.
>
> No, it's not.  How you pronounce, or name, the letters is different for
> lowercase and uppercase.
>
> A  Ay
> a  short a, like in apple, or I'd like to read "a" book
>
> B  Bee
> b  short b, like in bottle
>
> C  Cee
> c  short c, like in crease
>
> Likewise for the rest of the alphabet.  "A" and "a" are said completely
> differently from each other.
>
> The traditional alphabet song does the capital letter names, it doesn't
> do how the lower case letters are pronounced in a word.

This is not correct:
Across.
Receipt.
Accept (!?)
It's not universally how letter sounds are taught in any case. Letter
names are not the same as sounds.

If you have a point about 'capital letters' it's more that the letter
sounds are less variable when they're initial sounds, but those don't
have to be capital. Otherwise We Would Write Like This.

Possibly a linguistics mailing list would be a better place to
continue the discussion at this point.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk