Accidentally deleted Mate Volume Control icon from panel

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sat Oct 4 03:09:59 UTC 2014

On 10/04/14 10:29, jd1008 wrote:
> Tried several things, none restored that exact icon.
> Would a reboot restore it?
>
> Right click on the panel and select Add to Panel
> does not list volume control among the items listed.
> I created on the desktop a launcher, and the command I set to
> /usr/bin/mate-volume-control-applet
> then I dragged to the panel.
> But it does not work as it will not show me the horizontal
> sliding scale of volume level.
> Any suggestions?

The volume control is not actual on the panel, but within the notification area on the panel.

Find the leftmost icon remaining in the notification area.  It is usually the clipboard or ibus.  Just to the left of that is an almost invisible separator.  It may be a bit difficult to get it just right....but right click there.  If you get it correct, you'll get a dialog box with the lowest entry being "Lock to Panel".  Click on the "Remove from Panel".  All the icons will go away.  Then use "Add to Panel" to add a "Notification Area".  It will start out blank.  Logout/Login and you should get everything back.

FWIW, I could not find a way to actually delete the volume control.....so it must have been quite an accident.