what causes: kernel:[38405.042543] do_IRQ: 0.81 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Sat Oct 4 14:51:49 UTC 2014

On 04.10.2014, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> How does one do this?

Most probably, a "yum downgrade" will do it. I've never used any
Fedora (or other distro) kernels longer than during the installation,
so I've no experience.

> Also, what is the difference between the Fedora and vanilla kernels?

I guess the kernel folks of every distribution add some distribution-related
patches to it which aren't in mainline.

> Should I go here to get it?
[....]

In that case, you should download your kernels directly from
kernel.org. It's not a big deal to compile a kernel on your own.

1. Download e.g. the latest mainline kernel from kernel.org
2. Unpack it into /usr/src
3. Copy the latest .config from your actual Fedora kernel (/boot) into
   the root of the kernel sourcetree
4. "make oldconfig" (maybe you have to configure some new options here)
5. "make"
6. "make modules_install"
7. "make install"
8. Reboot your new kernel

This kernel lives peacefully alongside your Fedora kernels, and you
can delete the respective files under /boot, the sourcetree and the
modules in /lib/modules/ if you want to remove it. You do not damage
your Fedora kernel installation or the like. It's safe.

If you want to bisect, the steps to compile the cloned kernel sources
are the same as above.

Btw: there hasn't been any update to -stable in nearly 2 weeks,
because the stable maintainer was too busy to push out a new release
during this period. However, 3.16.4-rc1 was released today and
will soon be transferred into 3.16.4.

Btw2: didn't disabling irqbalance workaround the phenomenon?