what causes: kernel:[38405.042543] do_IRQ: 0.81 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Sat Oct 4 17:13:25 UTC 2014

On 04.10.2014, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> Does grub not have to be updated also? How does one do that?

No. Your kernel gets installed by "make install". Grub.cfg
will also be updated. After "make install", you're done and ready to
boot your new kernel. No need for further (grub) action.

> I see: makes sense! Btw, 3.16.4-rc1 is not available on www.kernel.org.

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/stable-review/patch-3.16.4-rc1.xz

The patches for the stable review are not showed on the kernel.org
main page, they live in the "stable-review" subdirectory as shown
above.

> What is the difference between this and 3,17-rc7?

3.17 is the mainline kernel which is under actual development, and
will be the stable kernel once released and updated. Soon after 3.17
is released, the merge window opens, which is the time the developers
are sending new patches to Linus. After 3.18-rc1 is released, the
merge window closes, and usually only bug fixes are accepted then.
Important fixes will be backported to the stable kernel trees, thus the
different minor version number releases.

In short: the actual mainline kernel is the one which is most
up-to-date (3.17 will be released soon..).

> What I don't quite understand is that there seem to be no issues when
> the system is rebooted. But issues arise only upon a wakeup from
> hibernate. Which I did, as advised in the mailing list here, doing the
> following:
[....]

With grub2, an additional "resume" boot parameter is not needed, as
long as your swap partition is properly formatted (mkswap, swapon)
and referred to in fstab when installing your kernel.