Setup for a static ethernet connection

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Oct 5 00:13:32 UTC 2014

Geoffrey Leach writes:

> I have a hard-wired ethernet connection. I'm trying to get Fedora 19 to work
> with it. Firewalld configuration has scripts added to open a route to the
> device. AFAIK, these are correct. The device is known to work.
>
> Here's the entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
>
> NAME="eno1"
> DEFROUTE="yes"
> IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL="no"
> IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL="no"
> TYPE="Ethernet"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> PEERROUTES="yes"
> IPV6INIT="yes"
> IPV6_PEERDNS="yes"
> PEERDNS="yes"
> HWADDR="E8:40:F2:05:DE:1C"
> #BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
> BOOTPROTO="static"
> IPV6_DEFROUTE="yes"
> IPV6_AUTOCONF="yes"
> IPV6_PEERROUTES="yes"
>
> IPADDR="198.168.20.5"
>
> It's basically what the install gave me with the addition of IPADDR and
> removal of UUID (which seems to change) BOOTPROTO has changed from dhcp to
> static.
>
> My problem is that I can't connect to the device, despite nm-tool

Define "connect to the device".

Comparing that to my own ifcfg, you are missing the PREFIX and NETMASK
settings:

YPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
PREFIX=24
DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NAME="Auto lan0"
UUID=fc87afd5-ca26-4881-b7f1-7bdcbea29f1f
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=BC:AE:C5:49:B9:3D
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
DEVICE=lan0
USERCTL=no

My static configuration for my WAN port also includes the GATEWAY setting,
giving the IP address of my ISP's router, on the other side of the bridged
connection.