Setup for a static ethernet connection

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Sun Oct 5 01:52:20 UTC 2014

On 10/04/2014 05:13:32 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Geoffrey Leach writes:
>
> > I have a hard-wired ethernet connection. I'm trying to get Fedora 19
> to work
> > with it. Firewalld configuration has scripts added to open a route
> to the
> > device. AFAIK, these are correct. The device is known to work.
> >
> > Here's the entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> >
> > NAME="eno1"
> > DEFROUTE="yes"
> > IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL="no"
> > IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL="no"
> > TYPE="Ethernet"
> > ONBOOT="yes"
> > PEERROUTES="yes"
> > IPV6INIT="yes"
> > IPV6_PEERDNS="yes"
> > PEERDNS="yes"
> > HWADDR="E8:40:F2:05:DE:1C"
> > #BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
> > BOOTPROTO="static"
> > IPV6_DEFROUTE="yes"
> > IPV6_AUTOCONF="yes"
> > IPV6_PEERROUTES="yes"
> >
> > IPADDR="198.168.20.5"
> >
> > It's basically what the install gave me with the addition of IPADDR
> and
> > removal of UUID (which seems to change) BOOTPROTO has changed from
> dhcp to
> > static.
> >
> > My problem is that I can't connect to the device, despite nm-tool
>
> Define "connect to the device".
>
> Comparing that to my own ifcfg, you are missing the PREFIX and NETMASK
>
> settings:
>
> YPE=Ethernet
> BOOTPROTO=none
> IPADDR=192.168.0.1
> PREFIX=24
> DEFROUTE=yes
> IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
> IPV6INIT=no
> NAME="Auto lan0"
> UUID=fc87afd5-ca26-4881-b7f1-7bdcbea29f1f
> ONBOOT=yes
> HWADDR=BC:AE:C5:49:B9:3D
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> DEVICE=lan0
> USERCTL=no
>
> My static configuration for my WAN port also includes the GATEWAY
> setting,
> giving the IP address of my ISP's router, on the other side of the
> bridged
> connection.

Define "connect to the device". Conventional Ethernet cable.  About 5 feet.

NETMASK I can do.  What's the function of PERFIX? I notice refenences to $PREFIX in scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, but no definition (as you observed) I did not define GATEWAY because there isn't one. The system in question is a recorder for OTA HDTV.