Setup for a static ethernet connection

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 06:53:30 UTC 2014

On 05/10/14 03:52, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> On 10/04/2014 05:13:32 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Geoffrey Leach writes:
>>
>>> I have a hard-wired ethernet connection. I'm trying to get Fedora 19
>> to work
>>> with it. Firewalld configuration has scripts added to open a route
>> to the
>>> device. AFAIK, these are correct. The device is known to work.
>>>
>>> Here's the entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
>>>
>>> NAME="eno1"
>>> DEFROUTE="yes"
>>> IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL="no"
>>> IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL="no"
>>> TYPE="Ethernet"
>>> ONBOOT="yes"
>>> PEERROUTES="yes"
>>> IPV6INIT="yes"
>>> IPV6_PEERDNS="yes"
>>> PEERDNS="yes"
>>> HWADDR="E8:40:F2:05:DE:1C"
>>> #BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
>>> BOOTPROTO="static"
>>> IPV6_DEFROUTE="yes"
>>> IPV6_AUTOCONF="yes"
>>> IPV6_PEERROUTES="yes"
>>>
>>> IPADDR="198.168.20.5"
>>>
>>> It's basically what the install gave me with the addition of IPADDR
>> and
>>> removal of UUID (which seems to change) BOOTPROTO has changed from
>> dhcp to
>>> static.
>>>
>>> My problem is that I can't connect to the device, despite nm-tool
>>
>> Define "connect to the device".
>>
>> Comparing that to my own ifcfg, you are missing the PREFIX and NETMASK
>>
>> settings:
>>
>> YPE=Ethernet
>> BOOTPROTO=none
>> IPADDR=192.168.0.1
>> PREFIX=24
>> DEFROUTE=yes
>> IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
>> IPV6INIT=no
>> NAME="Auto lan0"
>> UUID=fc87afd5-ca26-4881-b7f1-7bdcbea29f1f
>> ONBOOT=yes
>> HWADDR=BC:AE:C5:49:B9:3D
>> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>> DEVICE=lan0
>> USERCTL=no
>>
>> My static configuration for my WAN port also includes the GATEWAY
>> setting,
>> giving the IP address of my ISP's router, on the other side of the
>> bridged
>> connection.
>
> Define "connect to the device". Conventional Ethernet cable.  About 5 feet.
>
> NETMASK I can do.  What's the function of PERFIX? I notice refenences to
 > $PREFIX in scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, but no definition
 > (as you observed) I did not define GATEWAY because there isn't one. The
 > system in question is a recorder for OTA HDTV.

Have a look at /usr/share/doc/initscripts/sysconfig.txt from the
initscripts package:
      PREFIXn=
       Network prefix.  It is used for all configurations except aliases
       and ippp devices.  It takes precedence over NETMASK when both
       PREFIX and NETMASK are set.

)I've found that /usr/share/doc/initscripts/sysconfig.txt is a very
useful resource when one is trying to understand/edit ifcfg-* files).

--
Ahmad Samir