Setup for a static ethernet connection

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Oct 5 13:02:22 UTC 2014

Geoffrey Leach writes:

> On 10/04/2014 05:13:32 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
> > > My problem is that I can't connect to the device, despite nm-tool
> >
> > Define "connect to the device".
>
> Define "connect to the device". Conventional Ethernet cable.  About 5 feet.

And you were saying that something prevented you from physically plugging in
this cable?

Because that's exactly what you were saying.

One trick to getting an answer is to ask the right question, and accurately
describe the problem.

You were trying to execute some specific action. You were not getting the
expected results. You described that as "can't connect to the device",
without elaborating exactly what that action was. Obtaining an IP address.
Or pinging the router's IP address. Or, something else entirely. Nobody
knows, because you did not explain what it actually was, only that you
"can't connect to the device". "Can't connect to the device" is a completely
meaningless statement, that expresses absolutely no useful information.

> NETMASK I can do.  What's the function of PERFIX? I notice refenences to
> $PREFIX in scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, but no definition (as
> you observed) I did not define GATEWAY because there isn't one. The system
> in question is a recorder for OTA HDTV.

Whether or not a default route needs to be configured (which is what the
GATEWAY setting does) does not depend, in any way whatsoever, on whether or
not some "system" is a recorder for OTA HDTV. It depends entirely on how the
network needs to be configured. You could have OTA HDTV recorders, or
network file servers, or laptops with a wired connection, or anything else,
and all of them may or may not need a GATEWAY setting. It all depends on
what the network configuration should be.