Canon MG5520 wireless printer

Kevin Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Oct 6 00:50:43 UTC 2014

My volleyball club just bought a new printer.

When I plugged my laptop into the USB cable, CUPS tried to auto-install
it, but it failed.  I saw multiple USB connects and disconnects in the
log.  The last log entries in every series were disconnects.  The pop-up
window claiming it was installing never went away, it just sat there.

Next step, I googled the printer linux support, and found the canon
linux print drivers.  I downloaded
cnijfilter-mg5500series-4.00-1-rpm.tar.gz from Canon, untarred it, and
ran the install.sh script.  After it finished, I can now print to the
printer via USB cable.  (MG5500USB printer added to my system.)

Next step, I made sure the printer was connected to the correct wireless
network.  When I had, I can now print to the printer via AirPrint from
my iPhone.

Final step, I can't seem to make my laptop see the printer wirelessly.
How can print to this printer without plugging into the USB cable?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net