Canon MG5520 wireless printer

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Oct 6 02:03:51 UTC 2014

off-list reply...

Hi Kevin!

On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 08:50:43PM -0400, Kevin Cummings wrote:
> My volleyball club just bought a new printer.

Glad to see you're staying busy!

> When I plugged my laptop into the USB cable, CUPS tried to auto-install
> it, but it failed.  I saw multiple USB connects and disconnects in the
> log.  The last log entries in every series were disconnects.  The pop-up
> window claiming it was installing never went away, it just sat there.
>
> Next step, I googled the printer linux support, and found the canon
> linux print drivers.  I downloaded
> cnijfilter-mg5500series-4.00-1-rpm.tar.gz from Canon, untarred it, and
> ran the install.sh script.  After it finished, I can now print to the
> printer via USB cable.  (MG5500USB printer added to my system.)
>
> Next step, I made sure the printer was connected to the correct wireless
> network.  When I had, I can now print to the printer via AirPrint from
> my iPhone.
>
> Final step, I can't seem to make my laptop see the printer wirelessly.
> How can print to this printer without plugging into the USB cable?

I've never used a wireless printer, I wonder if your wifi hardware has
to disconnect from whatever WAP it's talking to  in order to connect to
the wireless printer? or is it (and the Linux drivers) a lot smarter
than I think? Do you  have to set it up like any other WAP? or is it
magic? :)

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.