Creating a static ethernet connection, once again

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 6 18:08:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Geoffrey Leach <geoff at hughes.net> wrote:

> On 10/06/2014 06:47:16 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
>
> > Don't you need "BOOTPROTO=static"?
> >
> Apparently "static" is not a defined value for BOOTPRO, and when an
> undefined term is used, it defaults to "none". One of the little bits of
> highly useful information that I've discovered in my search for a
> connection :-)

Hmm, I've been using Fedora for years and I never noticed this had changed.
My ifcfg files for statically-defined interfaces do indeed have
BOOTPROTO=none, and they work.

You might need to specify the NETMASK. In my experience, the default isn't
always what you'd expect.

Are you sure that the tuner is really on the net? Those devices normally
get their IP address via DHCP, so you would need to be running a DHCP
server on this subnet in order for it to work.

--Greg