Name resolution for kickstart

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Mon Oct 6 21:29:56 UTC 2014

On 10/03/2014 08:40 PM, Tim wrote:

> Specify the details on your DHCP server.  Actually sending 127.0.0.1
> is an odd thing, because it means "yourself," and I'd only send such
> data to those specific machines.  For everything else, give a
> specific DNS server address for one of those machines.  Do all of
> that on the DHCP server.  Have some specific machine entries (your
> servers), and separate configuration for a range of dynamic client
> machines.

Thanks for the reply. But I understand how to configure DHCP. As I wrote
above, "DHCP is configured to specify 127.0.0.1 as the nameserver
address for these machines". Only for those machines.

The difficulty is that, during kickstart the DHCP configuration is
wrong. I'd much rather not have to use a different configuration for
kickstart than for normal operation. While I can do that for an initial
installation, it is far trickier if the machine needs to be re-installed
later. A re-installation ought to be as simple and selecting PXE during
boot. There shouldn't be a need to change the DHCP configuration before
and after.
--
Dave Close