Off topic -- Can anybody tell me what this means?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 6 23:30:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 11:07:16PM +0000, Bill Oliver wrote:
> First, I apologize for this not being fedora-specific, but I just got
> the oddest email.  It looks like an intrusion attempt, trying to get
> sendmail to execute a perl script.  Is anybody familiar with this
> particular pattern?

Oh my yes. This is a probe for CVE-2014-6271, a serious bug in bash known as
"shellshock". See
<http://fedoramagazine.org/shellshock-how-does-it-actually-work/>.

If your system is up to date, you should be safe -- all major distributions
released patches quickly.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>