Off topic -- Can anybody tell me what this means?

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Oct 7 00:28:13 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 08:12:26PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 11:55:00PM +0000, Bill Oliver wrote:
> > >If your system is up to date, you should be safe -- all major distributions
> > >released patches quickly.
> > I sorta thought that, but I didn't think that sendmail was vulnerable to it...
>
> I hadn't heard that either, but sendmail is a very configurable piece of
> software and might be vulnerable in some configurations. Or maybe some other
> MTA is. Or maybe it's not and someone is just trying everything.

Just one possibility is procmail. I have no idea if procmail is subject
to that or not, but it does run lots of code that processes mail headers
when deciding what to do with the mail.

Not picking on procmail, it's just an example that came to mind.

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.