Creating a static ethernet connection, once again

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 7 15:58:32 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 07 October 2014, Lars E. Pettersson sent:
> 192.168.10.3 and 198.168.20.5 are on two different networks.

That depends on network configuration (where your netmask is), and what
hardware (if any) is between devices.

With a netmask of 255.255.255.0 those are two different networks, and
connection attempts across the divide would go through your gateway
(even if they really didn't need to, such as if you had all of your
networked devices on the one ethernet switch).

But, with a netmask of 255.255.0.0, they're all considered to be on the
same network, and will try to connect directly between themselves.  If,
however, there's something in between (such as a router), then
connections won't work, unless the router is configured to suit that
netmask, too.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.