Name resolution for kickstart

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 7 16:25:00 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 06 October 2014, CLOSE Dave sent:
> The difficulty is that, during kickstart the DHCP configuration is
> wrong. I'd much rather not have to use a different configuration for
> kickstart than for normal operation. While I can do that for an
> initial installation, it is far trickier if the machine needs to be
> re-installed later. A re-installation ought to be as simple and
> selecting PXE during boot. There shouldn't be a need to change the
> DHCP configuration before and after.

Realising you don't really want two configurations to have to do, but if
it's your intention that *some* things should use 127.0.0.1, and other
things should not, then I think you're stuck having to *manage* that.

But just a thought...  When I've set up systems, the network
configuration details applied during the installation period only
pertain to the installer (so it can get things from the network, as it
installs, etc.).  Post installation, my networks have always required
reconfiguration, as that install-time configuration is not put into the
installed system, just used by the installer, itself.  And this
post-install network configuration could be either manual, or simply
what my DHCP server does, as the machine boots up and connects.  So, the
situation exists for having two configuration stages.

I do not know if the kickstart system can be preset with separate
network configuration parameters for install time, and post install
(e.g. avoid having to intervene and reconfig, yourself).  It may be
possible for the DHCP server to detect the difference, and supply
different parameters.  e.g. A specific hostname being used during
install, for the install, then other individual hostnames applied to
machines, afterward.  And the hostname being the matchpoint for what
other details to provide to the DHCP client.

Is the PXE boot just for the installation, or do things always PXE boot?
If it's just for the installation, perhaps there's the place to set up
the alternative details.

I'm still inclined to think - avoid using 127.0.0.1, and when you're
preparing to install a system (new, or re-doing), making sure that
there's a DHCP server configuration for that new machine that not only
doles a specific IP to the machine, but also doles the same IP out as
its first DNS server.

Another thought might be to not get machines to self serve, but cross
serve between your local serves (they ask their peers, rather than
themselves).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.