Name resolution for kickstart

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Wed Oct 8 02:04:33 UTC 2014

Tim wrote:

> Realising you don't really want two configurations to have to do, but
> if it's your intention that *some* things should use 127.0.0.1, and
> other things should not, then I think you're stuck having to *manage*
> that.

I'm on the trail of a possible solution. Further ideas welcome.

In the dhcpd.conf file, I can test the client information from
Anaconda's DHCP requests. For example,

   if substring ( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 8 )  = "anaconda" {
     option domain-name-servers { normal addresses };
   } else {
     option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
   }

Indeed, this works -- up to a point. The first request that Anaconda
sends includes this string and my DHCP server provides the proper
response. But then Anaconda issues a couple of lease renewal requests
(why? it has a full-day lease already). Those don't include the string
so the server sends the 127 address. Then Anaconda fails. The sequence is,

   DHCP DISCOVER - with identifier "anaconda"
   DHCP OFFER - with normal name servers
   DHCP REQUEST- with identifier "anaconda"
   DHCP ACK - with normal name servers
   DHCP REQUEST- without identifier "anaconda"
   DHCP ACK - with 127 name server
   DHCP REQUEST- without identifier "anaconda"
   DHCP ACK - with 127 name server

There doesn't appear to be anything unique in the later requests on
which I can key. I'm searching for a way to make the DHCP server
remember the proper response.
--
Dave Close