mount shows mounted partition as /dev/mapper/HGST_HTS721010A9E630_JR10006P0BSEEF3

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Oct 8 09:16:30 UTC 2014

On 10/08/14 11:37, jd1008 wrote:

> On 10/07/2014 09:11 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> lvm pvdisplay
>> lvm vgdisplay
>> lvm lvdisplay
> # lvm pvdisplay
> # lvm pvdisplay -v
>     Scanning for physical volume names
> # lvm pvdisplay -vvv
>       Setting activation/monitoring to 1
>         Processing: pvdisplay -vvv
>         O_DIRECT will be used
>       Setting global/locking_type to 1
>       Setting global/wait_for_locks to 1
>       File-based locking selected.
>       Setting global/locking_dir to /run/lock/lvm
>       Setting global/prioritise_write_locks to 1
>     Scanning for physical volume names
>         Asking lvmetad for complete list of known PVs
>       Setting response to OK
>       Setting response to OK
>         Completed: pvdisplay -vvv
> # lvm vgdisplay
>   No volume groups found
> # lvm lvdisplay
>   No volume groups found

Well there are no lvm related file systems.

But, you said you had this....

# mount | grep sdc3
/dev/mapper/HGST_HTS721010A9E630_JR10006P0BSEEF3 on /sdc3 type ext4 (rw,relatime,journal_checksum)

So, the file system defined by /dev/mapper/HGST_HTS721010A9E630_JR10006P0BSEEF3 is mounted on the mount point /sdc3.   /dev/mapper/HGST_HTS721010A9E630_JR10006P0BSEEF3 is probably a link to some thing else which may give a clue.

/dev/mapper, AFAIK, is only used for lvm, part of a RAID, or dm-crypt partitions.

Do you know what this disk is supposed to contain?  If nothing is valuable I'd just wipe it clean and repartition everything.

You mention problems talked about on blogs and things....but don't cite references so nobody can vet the information.