Can't re-create initrd

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Fri Oct 10 21:24:07 UTC 2014

I'm working on a local change to the initrd used by PXE for Fedora 20.
The standard version works great for me. As an experiment, I ran these
commands.

   # ls -l initrd.img
   -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 34631660 Dec 12  2013 initrd.img
   # mkdir newrd; cd newrd
   # unxz <../initrd.img | cpio -i
   # find . | cpio -o -c | xz >../initrd2.img

The resulting initrd2.img has exactly the same size as the original file
but the contents are not in the same sequence. That is, "cpio -t" on the
two files shows the same number of files but not in the same order. I've
also tried creating the new file with this command.

   # unxz <../initrd.img | cpio -it | cpio -o -c | xz >../initrd2.img

This results in a new file with the contents in the same order as the
original.

But when I put initrd2.img in place of initrd.img and try to PXE boot,
the boot fails with the message, "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS:
Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)". There may be more
details before that message but they roll off my screen too quickly.

What am I doing wrong?
--
Dave Close