Can't re-create initrd

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Sat Oct 11 20:29:16 UTC 2014

Heinz Diehl wrote:

> You could use dracut to recreate your initramfs?
> Works flawlessly (here as a test, with an old kernel):

While I am not familiar with dracut, I've looked at it a bit. I don't
see a way to use it to modify an existing initrd, only to create a new
one based on the running system. That's not my objective. I just want to
make a small modification to the Fedora-supplied PXE initrd. Please
recall that this initrd is not installed anywhere, nor is its associated
kernel. Both are used only by anaconda during PXE boot.

Using lsinitrd on the original initrd, which works, and on my recreated
one, which doesn't work, generates identical output except for the time
stamps on the files. Are those significant?
--
Dave Close