Canon MG5520 wireless printer

Kevin Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Oct 12 01:26:31 UTC 2014

On 10/06/2014 02:11 AM, Kevin Cummings wrote:
> On 10/06/2014 02:10 AM, Javier Perez wrote:
>> Go to Settings, Device Settings and print out the "LAN Settings",
>> "Confirm LAN Settings" and "Print LAN Details". It should give you the
>> current IP  address of the printer
>
> Thanks.  I'll have to wait until next Saturday when I meet up with the
> printer again.

Finally got back to the gym.  When I started the Print Settings tool, I
had to unlock it first, then I started the ADD PRINTER dialogue.  When
it prompted to select device, I opened the Network Printer expansion,
but the printer I was looking for was not present, so I decided to enter
it manually.  While I was trying to figure out how to do that, an entry
for the printer "magically" appeared in the network list!  I guess it
took a little time to "find" it.  It came up with the
bjnp://ip-address/:8611 URL.  When I selected it, it took a few minutes
to "find and install" the proper print driver, and not long after that,
I had printed a test page.  < 10 minutes!

Great job.  It would have been nice if this could have all been done
automatically with CUPS finding all the right drivers automatically (ie,
not having to install the cups-bjnp and cnijfilter-mg5500series RPMs
myself), but, otherwise, a grand job of easing the installation!

Hurrah!  I got it working (wirelessly) before the guy with the windows
PC.  B^)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net