Question about Thunderbird

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 02:31:56 UTC 2014

On 10/11/2014 07:37 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 10/12/14 09:30, jd1008 wrote:

>>> If in one of your address books you have an entry with a matching email address and the "Display" field defined then TBird will display that instead of what is in the "From:" header.
>>>

>> I examined the address of the actual vendor I have in contacts.
>> The display field is not as TB displayed it.
>>

> Without any more detail, everything will be a guess.

Seems like TB was at a loss what to do with the display field
because of the collected contacts list.
There was another vendor which was automatically entered
into the collected contacts list, and it also had come
from paypal.
The problem is caused by paypal making the From field of all such
invoice messages as coming from member at paypal.com.
When the first such entry was made, the display field is left blank,
so are the first and last names. So I had edited the contact
by filling in the empty fields of First Name, Last Name, Display Name,
so that I would know who the billing vendor was.
So, when I got an invoice from the new vendor, it had in it only the
email address in the From field, and TB keyed on that, and found
the first contact that matched the email address member at paypal.com,
and displayed that vendor's display name with the matching email
address. I had no other entry in the collected list with the email address
when I got this email.

So, I guess I might call and talk to paypal and inform them of this,
and just perhaps they might decide to fix the From field so that the
address is fully qualified (i.e. SomeName <email at address>).