Creating a static ethernet connection, once again

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 12 05:23:48 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-08 at 10:15 -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> Turns out that there's an undocumented feature on the HDTV tuner
> software. Said software looks for a connection in a particular range
> of addresses. Assigning the ethernet configuration an IP address in
> that range solves my problem.

I've seen that sort of thing before, where devices only work within a
limited range of private addresses.  You're stuffed if they're not
available to you.

Imagine buying something that can only work on 192.168.1.x, so you go
around reassigning the addresses over everything on your LAN to
accommodate it (a right pain in the neck).  Then, a month later, you get
some other device that can only work on 192.168.0.y!  It's that sort of
half-arsed equipment design, by those who can't see past the end of
their own nose, that causes no end of trouble to people.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.16.3-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Wed Sep 17 23:07:44 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.