Canon MG5520 wireless printer

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 13 10:45:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-10-13 at 10:54 +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> If I understand correctly, cups-bjnp is the backend that discovers the
> printer. So there's no way to know in advance that it needs to be
> installed; it would have to be installed by default.

Since we're stuck with having to use closed-source, external, drivers
for some hardware, because it's proved impossible to produce an open
source one, or it just hasn't happened yet, causing us to have to
manually pre-install drivers for special hardware, has anyone thought
about a half-way measure?

Simply detecting the presence of such undriven hardware, and notifying
the user that some currently unusable hardware is here, and there is no
driver installed for it.  e.g. It looks like you have a printer, but no
driver is available for it.

It might save some of the grief when people want to print, or something
else, and are unsure whether the device simply hasn't been found, or
that they've done something wrong.

Identifying what hardware is there ought to be an easier task than
trying to make drivers from scratch.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.16.3-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Wed Sep 17 23:07:44 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.