F20: message from syslogd and soft lockup/kernel bug

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Oct 13 19:18:49 UTC 2014

Hi Gary,

Thanks! I also have updated my BIOS (as mentioned in a subsequent post) but I have continued to have frequent error messages and lockups even with the mainline vanilla kernel. I have filed bug reports on both kernel.org and fedora -- hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Btw, what does running memtest for 24 hours mean? What do I have to do?

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:09:54 -0700 Gary Artim <gartim at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've had similar error messages and hang of the system (unresponsive,
> but powered on). I would check if there is any firmware upgrade you
> could apply to the motherboard and also run memtest for 24 hours. I
> recently did flash my motherboard and haven't had a hang since, but
> its a server/raid and the load can get pretty big, hasn't yet.
>
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 5:17 AM, Ranjan Maitra
> <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been having this issue sometimes (not always but quite
> > frequently) upon wakeup from hibernate for the past few days (on a
> > newly installed notebook) which is a Dell Precision M3800.
> >
> > I get the following message on my consoles:
> >
> > Message from syslogd at ....
> > kernel:BUG: soft lockup -  CPU#1  stuck for 22s!
> >
> > What is the problem? Is the problem with the laptop or the kernel?
> >
> > I am using kernel-3.16.2-201.fc20.x86_64 on Fedora 20.
> >
> > The laptop has 12GB memory and 16GB swap.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Many thanks and best wishes,
> > Ranjan
> >

> > --
> > Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
> > For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use
> > appropriate addresses.

> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.