Canon MG5520 wireless printer

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Oct 13 23:44:14 UTC 2014

On 10/10/2014 08:52 PM, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-10-10 at 19:47 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:

>>> And so does sane  with the pixma backend: it also supports a bjnp
>>> -protocol (but scanning uses port 8612)
>>> Kind regards, Louis
>> I couldn't figure out how to get sane to wirelessly scan until I got the
>> canon driver for scanning, and then that driver automatically appear in
>> Sane's/Xsane's list of drivers to scan with.
> Did you open port 8612 UDP on the firewall? Sane can not do that for
> you, neither can cups-bjnp open port 8611 UDP
I didn't open that port, but I don't think I have a firewall running as
I have never had to open 8611 for Cups/Gutenprint to be able to see and
use my previous or current Canon wireless printer/multifunction device.
The wireless printers were always visible to Cups as soon as they were
turned on. Having installed the Canon proprietary scanning rpm for my
new Canon device, that interface is listed in Xsane as a device I can
scan from, but I haven't actually tried it yet.
I'm not all that impressed with the Canon printer driver around the
device's ability to print directly to dvd's. There isn't any entry in
the driver to specify dvd printing nor select the dvd tray as a source.
The documentation says it is handled automatically, but I haven't found
anything that can use that function other than some software provided by
Canon under Windows, and they don't have a linux version of that software.
There is no support for the device in Gutenprint currently, but I
believe a driver is under development to potentially be included in the
next version of gutenprint. I should download the source sometime and
test out the dvd printing interface as I understand that needs a bit of
work to function properly.

regards,
Steve