strange behavior by changing the permissions of a file

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 10:15:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:37:32 +0300, Angelo Moreschini wrote:

> when I open the dialog of the program all is froze (completely)...

That will need further examination in bugzilla and in something else than
GNOME Shell for comparison. You may be right that it is the bug you've
linked, but then you could ask yourself why you don't run the program
as your normal user.

> > What makes you think you need execute permission on that file?
> > > It's a database storage file.
> >
> I read this post that suggested this try:

That one says mode 644 which is _not_ executable, but only rw for user
and readable for anyone else.

> But in the while I got another problem:
>
> I tried to re install dconf-edit ...
> I did it because I found a more recent version...
> dconf-editor-0.15.0-4mgc30.x86_64.rpm

That one is _older_ than what Fedora 20 ships: 0.18.0

> So I removed the old version but I was not able to install the new..

That's because you've not downloaded all packages you need.
Either you point Yum at package repositories to solve such dependencies,
or download all needed packages yourself and install them _at once_ with
either Yum or RPM.

> [root at zorro dconf]# yum localinstall
> /home/angelo_dev/Downloads/dconf-editor-0.15.0-4mgc30.x86_64.rpm

You're missing the "dconf" package of the same version. This is just
dconf-editor.