yum failure.

William mattison.computer at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 20:31:35 UTC 2014

> I have F20 on a 64-bit system.  I'm a home user with no sysadmin
> training and no real sysadmin experience.  I tried to do my weekly
> patches, and got this:
>
> bash.6[~]: yum update
> error: rpmdb: BDB0113 Thread/process 2156/140591811774272 failed:
> BDB1507 Thread died in Berkeley DB library
> error: db5 error(-30973) from dbenv->failchk: BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY:
> Fatal error, run database recovery
> error: cannot open Packages index using db5 -  (-30973)
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> CRITICAL:yum.main:
>
> Error: rpmdb open failed
> bash.7[~]:
To answer Ranjan,
 > Has you done this before?
Yes, I've been doing it every week for over a year.  This is the first
time I've had a problem.

 > Were you doing this as root or do you have super user status on your
system?
I always do it as root.

"Alchemist" suggested:
 > Do as root
 > pkill yum && pkill rpm && rm -rf /var/lib/rpm/__db.00* && rpmdb
--rebuilddb && sync

This appeared to have no effect.  So I tried the individual pieces as
separate commands.  That appeared to work.  I then tried the "yum
update".  It appears to have worked.  Thank-you!

Follow-up question...
I know that the packages on my work station came from at least two
repositories.  I don't recall which.  I have a graphics card driver
which I think came from an external(?) repository.  I have "xeyes",
"xv", and "xcdroast", which also might have come from "external"
repositories.  How can I check that the sequence of commands that
"Alchemist" gave me got all the repositories?

thanks,
Bill.