Swapping the number of 2 partitions

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Oct 17 05:12:17 UTC 2014

On 16Oct2014 22:44, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Could you explain _why_ you want to renumber the partitions? Does
>>something have a hardwired desire to use "partition 1" or something?
>
>I think I need to do it because the windows partition for some reason
>will not boot as partition 2 even though the boot.ini was edited to look
>in partition 2  instead of partition 2.
>
>So, I restored boot.init to look into partition 1, and then I will try
>to boot windows
>from the grub2 menu (which I have also edited to look into msdos1
>instead of msdos2.
>
>Not sure it will work, but worth a try.
>I might save me a reinstall.

Don't forget to keep a copy of the partition table dump file when you dump it
with sfdisk. That way if there is some disaster in your edit you can put the
original back.

And don't forget that sfdisk is terribly easy to misuse. I always quake with
fear of overwriting the partition table instead of dumping it. Read the manual
entry carefully (it has examples, and this same warning) and ensure you have
the command line options right.

Nonetheless, it is still terrible useful.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

I think... Therefore I ride.  I ride... Therefore I am.
         - Mark Pope <erectus at yarrow.wt.uwa.edu.au>