Yum update accident -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Oct 18 07:37:58 UTC 2014

I just ran yum update on this F-20 computer and I tried copying some
warnings produced using the usual CTRL-c, my excuse is I just got out of
bed and my dog is nagging me to go out.  :-(

I restarted yum with "yum update" and the result is:

....... snip ......
---> Package xfce4-weather-plugin.x86_64 0:0.8.3-7.fc20 will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
--> Running transaction check
---> Package kernel-devel.x86_64 0:3.16.2-201.fc20 will be erased
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error:  Multilib version problems found. This often means that the root
        cause is something else and multilib version checking is just
        pointing out that there is a problem. Eg.:

          1. You have an upgrade for nss-softokn-freebl which is missing
some
             dependency that another package requires. Yum is trying to
             solve this by installing an older version of
nss-softokn-freebl of the
             different architecture. If you exclude the bad architecture
             yum will tell you what the root cause is (which package
             requires what). You can try redoing the upgrade with
             --exclude nss-softokn-freebl.otherarch ... this should give
you an error
             message showing the root cause of the problem.

          2. You have multiple architectures of nss-softokn-freebl
installed, but
             yum can only see an upgrade for one of those architectures.
             If you don't want/need both architectures anymore then you
             can remove the one with the missing update and everything
             will work.

          3. You have duplicate versions of nss-softokn-freebl installed
already.
             You can use "yum check" to get yum show these errors.

        ...you can also use --setopt=protected_multilib=false to remove
        this checking, however this is almost never the correct thing to
        do as something else is very likely to go wrong (often causing
        much more problems).

        Protected multilib versions:
nss-softokn-freebl-3.17.2-1.fc20.i686 !=
nss-softokn-freebl-3.17.1-2.fc20.x86_64

What should I do to recover?

Bob

--