pnmixer error message: Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_root_coords: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 05:04:04 UTC 2014

On 10/18/2014 03:57 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 14:41:32 -0600 jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks! Let me explain: I get a crash when I log in for the first time. In this case, it is autostarted (at the system level). When I use this as a user from the commandline, it does not crash: however, upon wakeup from hibernate it does crash.
>>>
>>> I have this problem with my Dell Precision M3800 laptop.
>>>
>>> Funnily enough I do not have an issue with my Dell XPS 13 or Dell E6400 laptops or my Dell Precision T7400 workstation (which of course is never hibernated).
>>>
>>> The setup is the same for all machines (and in particular identical for all three laptops)!
>>>
>>> Many thanks again!
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Ranjan
>>>
>> OK, so my understanding is that you start pnmixer, and it starts fine,
>> then you hibernate, and then you reboot to resume from hibernation,
>> and THAT is when the crash occurs.
>> Is this basically correct?
> Basically, correct, except that pnmixer itself crashes when started at login (upon a first boot). However, when started later on (from the commandline, but I am not sure that this has anything to do with it), it does not crash but gives that error message, which I do not know how to handle and works normally.

When you say crashes upon startup, do you mean resumption after hibernation.
or do you mean after a fresh bootup and fresh login?

If the crash is occurring after a fresh bootup and login (i.e., not
system resumption
after a hibernation, then how is pnmixer getting started at time of
fresh login and
immediately crashing? Are you starting it from your .bashrc or .bash-profile
or some such startup file?
I am asking just to get this clarification.

>> If so, how can we deduce that the system crash is being caused by pnmixer?
> We can not. It is just that pnmixer crashes upon login and first boot and there was an error message in the dmesg (some days ago) so that made me wonder.
>
>> You  need to boot a kernel that enables the saving of the system crashdump
>> and upload it to the redhat's  bugzilla.redhat.com so that the cause of
>> the system
>> crash can be identified.
> How do I get such a kernel?
sudo yum -y install system-config-kdump  kexec-tools

Next, you need to modify /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and add a boot param
to the line
linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.4-200.fc20.x86_64
root=UUID=fba3bf99-7948-45c5-83af-627c6e6b8b2a ro  vconsole.font=lat
arcyrheb-sun16  LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Read the document:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/pdf/Kernel_Crash_Dump_Guide/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-7-Kernel_Crash_Dump_Guide-en-US.pdf

which has a section explaining what params to add to that line, and how
to configure
/etc/kdump.conf ...etc .... etc
It is an excellent document which has much more to say than I can
summarize here.

> Btw, I am also getting, occassionally the following in my dmesg:
>

> [30472.635743] Browser[14212]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fc6a88f2445 sp 00007fffbecd1290 error 6 in libmozalloc.so[7fc6a88f1000+2000]
>
> What exactly does this mean? Is this serious? I am at firefox-33.0-1.fc20.x86_64 but the phenomenon was also there before the firefox update.
It simply could mean that you might have either
1. A corrupted libmozalloc.so file,
     or
2. You have bad ram.

Why don't  you:

sudo yum -y install memtest86+
and after it gets installed, run

sudo /usr/sbin/memtest-setup

and this will allow you to boot into the standalone memory test
which will likely run for a couple of hours or more and will find
memory errors.