Disable automatic download of updates

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 05:16:30 UTC 2014

On 10/18/2014 06:23 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 10/19/14 04:47, jd1008 wrote:
>> On 10/17/2014 11:50 PM, John Tall wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> After installing the Fedora 21 Alpha with GNOME I've found that the system now downloads updates automatically and notifies me when they are ready to be installed. This is a very handy feature, but from what I can tell it looks like the packages are downloaded automatically in the background. I'm often on a mobile hotspot and don't have the capacity to download sometimes hundreds of megabytes of packages. How do I disable the automatic download in Fedora 21?
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> You have a package installed called:
>> yum-updatesd-0.9-15.fc20.noarch
>>
>> You have the option of disabling it or removing it.
>> To disable it:
>> sudo systemctl disable yum-updatesd
>>
>> To remove it:
>>
>> sudo rpm -e yum-updatesd
>>

> Several things.....
>
> yum-updatesd is not a package which is installed by default.
>
> yum-updatesd will only download available updates if specifically configured to do so in the yum-updatesd.conf file with the following directive.
>
>         do_download
>                Boolean  option  to decide whether or not updates should be auto‐
>                matically downloaded.  Defaults to False.
>
> The stated major purpose of yum-updatesd is to provide notification of updates which are available to be
> applied to your system.  It needs to be installed, configured, and manually enabled to be of use.  So, unless a conscience was made to do this, the package does nothing.
>
> Also, please note, it is preferred that one uses "yum erase" instead of "rpm -e" as subsequent usage of yum will issue a warning that concerns some folks about the db being altered outside of yum.
If the OP did go through the steps you enumerate, why would s/he be so
surprised
by the automatic updates ? :) :)   Very strange!!

Also, having used yum erase, I have had catastrophic consequences,
because yum will remove dependencies also, which other packages
which you might not want removed.

For example, just try to

yum erase bash

and see what happens :) :)